Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

(a) Transfer of Jurisdiction to Tribal Court. The Yurok Tribal Court is authorized to formally accept the transfer of jurisdiction from any state or other Tribal Court, so long as the other tribe’s governing body has validly consented in writing to the transfer of jurisdiction.

(1) A party interested in transferring jurisdiction to Tribal Court must first file a petition to transfer, along with any supporting documentation, stipulations or legal authorities, as appropriate or necessary, with the Tribal Court.

(2) Upon issuance of a Tribal Court order accepting transfer of jurisdiction, the transferring court shall consider the transfer. Both courts must approve of the transfer.

(3) The transferring court may apply the policies of the Indian Child Welfare Act, 25 U.S.C. §§ 1901 through 1963, where they do not conflict with the provisions of this title.

(4) After another court transfers a case to the Tribal Court’s jurisdiction and transmits all documents and legal and social records, the Tribal Court shall proceed with the case as if the petition had been originally filed in the Tribal Court.

(b) Certification of Cases Transferred Under Indian Child Welfare Act. In cases transferred to the Tribal Court under the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA), 25 U.S.C. § 1911(b), the court may adopt the state court’s certification of aggravated circumstances or hold its own hearing regarding the existence and applicability of an aggravated circumstances determination by the state under this chapter.

(c) Concurrent Jurisdiction Cases. YSS or another jurisdiction may petition the court to jointly and/or concurrently supervise cases which are within the subject matter jurisdiction of this title. The petition and subsequent order will specifically delineate the responsibility of each jurisdiction. [Ord. 46A § 1806, adopted, 3/24/2016.]