(a) Purpose. A Council liaison functions as the point person for a department, program, or issue and represents that department, program or issue within the Council and to outside organizations.
(b) Appointment. In accordance with Article IV, Section 1(e) of the Constitution, the Chairperson shall delegate authority as the principal spokesperson and representative for the Tribe for certain departments, programs, and issues in the following manner:
(1) At the first regularly scheduled meeting of the Council following the election of a Council member, or as soon thereafter as practicable, the Chairperson shall call for nominations for open Council liaison positions.
(2) The Chairperson shall prepare a list of nominees for open liaison positions and present it to the Council within 30 days of the call for nominations.
(3) Upon presentation of the nominees to the Council, the Council shall either consent or dissent to each individual nominee for a Council liaison position.
(c) Term. A Council liaison shall serve for a term of three years, or until the liaison’s service on the Council ends, whichever is less. A new liaison shall serve for two and one-half years with a six-month training period.
(d) Functions and Duties. The functions and duties of a Council liaison include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following:
(1) A Council liaison shall report to the Council at the next Council meeting on respective assignments and meetings that the Council liaison attended.
(2) In accordance with the consent and directions of the Council, a Council liaison shall clarify the Tribal Council’s position and direction regarding various issues.
(3) A Council liaison shall keep abreast of issues and important reading regarding the department, program, or issue.
(4) A Council liaison shall review proposals to other agencies for the respective department, program, or issue.
(5) A Council liaison shall attend all important meetings regarding the department, program, or issue.
(6) A Council liaison shall avoid involvement in staff conflict.
(7) A Council liaison shall use best efforts to work as a team for the benefit of the Tribe.
(8) If a potential issue of concern arises within a department or program regarding the Council’s liaison’s direction, the Council liaison shall bring the issue back to the Tribal Council for further clarification.